Thursday, November 1, 2012

Keeping Tabs on Crappy Eyeliners

   Don't be offended if your holy grail eyeliner is listed here. I have the WORST eye type ever. I'm combo-skin but my eyes always tend to "glisten" a little. I have hooded eyes and they're incredibly sensitive and water close to constantly. Really, I might as well NOT wear makeup. Most eyeliners don't stay on past 30 minutes. By the time I put my makeup on and have gotten dressed to leave, I end up wiping all my makeup off because my eyeliner has smudged everywhere. I'm not exaggerating. One time, I found eyeliner on the tip of my nose and on the side of my face... It's THAT serious.
    Lucky for me, my work schedule has changed quite a bit and I get to work from home Thursday-Saturday now. That being said, it gives me the perfect opportunity for product testing. I can't do one eye with this and one eye with that product because it varies day by day which eye wants to run the waterworks.
     This list will be updated frequently as a service to myself and you, if you choose to use it. I will do the standard "put it on my hand, let it dry then rub it down" test but let me tell you that that doesn't stand a chance to whatever my eyes throw at it. If whatever combination of oil/water my eyes have come up with could be turned into a makeup remover, I'd be filthy rich...

***I do not have any of the original packaging any of the products come with because I usually throw that out immediately***

Rimmel London Waterproof Gel Eyeliner - Found here



    Reminds me of the Revlon one as far as packaging. It comes with a little inkwell and the lid magically transforms into a brush. Although it's a neat concept and the brush wasn't horrendous, I prefer to use my own brushes so I did. The eyeliner itself is so watery and not very pigmented that I'm not surprised that it didn't last on me.

Picture taken directly after swatch

Picture taken 10 minutes after swatch
   The swatch above on the left is heavily swatched and the swatch on the right is with one stroke. As you can see, it is very streaky and it is actually really hard to make it look "even". The nice thing is that the product dries to a matte finish. The bad thing is that it takes an incredibly long time for it to dry. What comes next will astound you...
Whoop, there it is. All smudged. No water - just ONE swipe later...







   This smudges about as easily (if not more easily) than a pencil liner. What's the point in waiting 5-10 minutes if your liner is going to smudge like that? Of course, I tried again and got the same results. I DID find, however, if you let the liner set for about 30 minutes, it's a bit more difficult to budge. Yeah, that's realistic. 

    In terms of color, wearability, durability, and just ability in general, I give this product a big fail. What about you? Have you ever tried this product?

No comments:

Post a Comment