Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Urban Decay Book of Shadows Redux

   So, I'm sure you've heard of Ulta. They just sent out an email about how they are carrying an Ulta-exclusive "Liimited Edition" Book of Shadows from Urban Decay. I guess it's limited in the fact that they have been having all these sales to get rid of all their old-formulation eye shadows. I bought the BoS Redux during their Friends and Family sale a couple weeks back.
   It's possible that Urban Decay had to collaborate with Martha Stewart to have access to soooooooooo much glitter. If you're familiar with the older formulation of the UD shadows, you will know how gritty the glitter shadows are. Having said that, there are 16 shadows in this box and only 2 have unmanageable (to me) glitter: Oil Slick, Uzi and Midnight Cowboy rides again. It also comes with a mini primer potion in the old bottle and a mini 24/7 pencil in Zero.
    I'm in a rush to leave town this morning for work so only swatched on paper and not on my arm as I didn't want glitter showing up on my face in the middle of the day out of nowhere. I'm sure you understand... These are my standard, two-swipe across the pan without primer, swatches. I can offer color descriptions if you're interested - just let me know.

Pictures with the BoS V under to show size difference

Ah ~ New York

The whole palette

Just the colors

In order that the shadows are in the palette

Same stuff, less shadowy 
   The only colors I feel like aren't showing up that great in the pictures are Goddess and Ecstasy. Goddess is an almost grey/blue duo chrome with blue micro shimmer. Ecstasy is a very light, bright purple that leans a bit pink.
   I'll be honest and tell you that I really only bought this BoS because I wanted Haight, Goddess, Stray Dog and Rockstar and didn't mind the idea of having a back up of Sin and YDK. By the time I thought I was going to spend $6 a piece on six shadows, I figured I might as well make the jump and try this book out. It wasn't a bad decision (especially at 20% off the new $39 price tag) but be aware that there is a ton of glitter and that it will get all over your shadows. Also, I'm not sure if it's just mine, but you can't pull the part with the shadows out like you can in the BoS V. It's not a huge inconvenience but you need to clear space up on your vanity to use it and that might be a quirk that you just don't like. If you end up purchasing, let me know what your thoughts are!

No comments:

Post a Comment